We think there’s no better gift than an edible gift! Make shortbread for family and friends this Christmas and get crafty packaging them up into cute little morsels with bows and festive cheer. You’ll have them talking about “those shortbreads” all through the new year.
The key flavour to this recipe is our very special Whey Butter, which is churned from the by-product of our cheese making process. Try this version with cranberries and pistachio, or you can substitute them with chopped macadamia and white chocolate for something a little extra naughty. But don’t worry, we’ll tell Santa you’ve been nice!
- 125g Vannella Cheese Whey Butter
- ⅓ cup Caster Sugar
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- Finely grated rind of an Organic Orange
- 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- ⅓ cup Dried Cranberries, chopped
- ⅓ cup Pistachios, chopped
- 1 cup Provenance Flour & Malt ‘Soft Flour’ (or Plain Flour)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the whey butter, caster sugar, salt, orange zest and vanilla bean paste.
- Add the chopped dried cranberries and pistachios, then mix to incorporate.
Finally add the flour and mix to combine.
- Cut two rectangle pieces of cling wrap and place down on the bench.
Between your hands, shape the shortbread dough into two long logs, making sure to not leave the logs too thick. Place one log on each piece of cling wrap and wrap them very tightly.
- Store in the fridge for at least 2 hours to firm up.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C fan forced and prepare a tray with baking paper.
Remove the logs from the fridge and remove the cling wrap. On a chopping board using a sharp knife, cut the logs into 1cm wide rounds and place each round on the prepared baking tray separated slightly apart from each other.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes and allow to cool completely.